How can students experiment with and experience the multitude of telecommunications principles and modulation/coding schemes without the need for an entire test bench of instruments and time-consuming preparation?
This major challenge is answered by the TIMS approach to building experiments at a block diagram level
What is TIMS?
TIMS (Telecommunication Instructional Modelling System), is a flexible and versatile communications trainer that incorporates all of the instruments needed to quickly and easily carry out every communications laboratory experiment required in a range of courses, from technical college to university level.
How does it do this?
The TIMS-301 BASIC SYSTEM comprises the core hardware components and documentation for a TIMS laboratory training system.
The first of the two hardware components is the TIMS-301 SYSTEM UNIT with its FIXED modules (lower rack) and 12-slot upper rack for plug-in modules.
The second hardware component is the PLUG-IN MODULES which comprises of a large range of single function building blocks. The professor choses the modules needed to suit each specific experiment setup and these are then reused in other experiment setups.
The BASIC MODULE SET which includes 13 BASIC plug-in modules. Three sets of manuals are included: the TIMS-301 USER MANUAL, the TIMS LABSHEET EXPERIMENTS set and the five volume TIMS STUDENT TEXT.
|TIMS-301 System Unit with Fixed Modules
The FIXED MODULES are the most commonly used modules.
- Master Oscillators - synchronized quadrature carrier, sampling and message signals
- Buffer Amplifiers - two independent amplifiers are included
- Frequency and
- Event Counter
- Variable DC Voltage Output
- Oscilloscope Display Selectors
- TIMS Trunks Outputs
- headphone Amplifier & filter
- TIMS Trunks Outputs (optional)
- Power Supply
|TIMS-301 Basic Modules
The BASIC MODULES are the fundamental building blocks.
- Adder (two included)
- Audio Oscillator
- Dual Analog Switch
- Multiplier (three included)
- Phase Shifter
- Pseudorandom Sequence Generator
- Quadrature Phase Splitter
- Tuneable Low Pass Filter
- Twin Pulse Generator
- Voltage Controlled Oscillator
- 60kHz Low Pass Filter
What else can it do?
- ADVANCED MODULE set adds further 36 functions for implementing the vast range of experiment capabilities of TIMS.
- DSP-based modules are available to compare the performance of traditional electronic circuits with Digital Signal Processing (DSP) techniques within the TIMS environment, as well as for implementing more complex schemes.
- In-house modules can be designed to fit into the TIMS system due to the open architecture of TIMS.
- The TIMS-301C includes a built-in virtual instrument for connecting to a PC to give oscilloscope functions and spectrum analysis (FFT).
- Unique to TIMS, for networking a TIMS laboratory, is 'TIMS Trunks'. The instructor can send up to 3 telecommunications signals from the master TIMS System, to each student's TIMS system.
- TIMS Trunks is ideal for:
- Laboratory demonstrations
- For making complex demodulation/decoding experiments more manageable, &
- Excellent for practical examinations
- TIMS is fully self contained. The only additional equipment required is an oscilloscope.
- Quick and easy to use. The front panel of each module is functionally laid out, with inputs on the left and outputs on the right hand side of the panel. All inputs and outputs are colour coded signifying the signal type: yellow for analog signals and red for digital signals. High quality 4mm sockets are used throughout.